Blagojevich prosecutor is UI alumnus

By Stephen Spector

The lead prosecutor determined to displace Gov. Rod Blagojevich in Monday’s opening trial proceedings bears blue and orange spirit. David Ellis graduated from the University in 1990 with a degree in finance, and continued his education at Northwestern Law School. “It’s not a courtroom trial,” said Andrew Leipold, law professor at the University.

“The decision that Senators have to make is not just a factual question, but a judgment of did he do something wrong and was it wrong enough to be removed from office.”

Not your typical trial

Ellis is playing a leading role in one of the most eminent law proceedings in state history, but it is not your typical civil or criminal case. If Blagojevich is found guilty in Ellis’ trial, he will be removed from office but not sent to jail.

Landing the job

As the House prosecutor, Ellis was the principal writer for the House of Representatives’ impeachment committee’s report that advocated impeaching Blagojevich. Ellis also served as the lead lawyer for the House impeachment panel.

“The rules Senate adopted for the impeachment say that the council to the House impeachment committee will be the House prosecutor,” said Steve Brown, spokesman for the Speaker of the House Michael Madigan.

When not prosecuting the governor, Ellis is responsible for examining legislation before the House and acting as the House Parliamentarian and House Ethics Officer.

Getting Busy

Ellis dug into his homework Wednesday afternoon as he filed requests for witnesses and subpoenas for the upcoming trial. Rikeesha Phelon, spokeswoman for Senate President John Cullerton, confirmed that Ellis asked for thirteen witnesses including eight House representatives. Ellis also issued a subpoena to FBI Agent Daniel Cain, the author of the affidavit reciting Blagojevich’s allegations. In accordance with Wednesday’s deadline to file requests, Ellis requested 21 pieces of additional documents to be used as evidence.

Writing books

The Illinois alumnus dedicates time to writing mystery novels in the absence of law proceedings – five to be exact.

“I thought I’d be a writer when I was a kid, but then I got caught up in sports, girls, studies, and girls, and the next thing I knew, I was studying business in college and going to law school,” Ellis wrote on his Web page. His first book, “Line of Vision,” won the Edgar Award for Best First Novel.