Census jobs seek to help unemployed

By Jill Disis

While national unemployment is increasing, the upcoming 2010 census may mean temporary jobs and resume experience for individuals facing employment frustration.

The U.S. Census Bureau has begun recruiting and hiring people looking for part-time employment and extra money, according to the Bureau’s Web site.

Census takers usually help update address lists and conduct interviews with residents in the community.

Still, those looking for long-term employment should look elsewhere. Andrew Levy, a planner analyst for the Champaign County Regional Planning Commission, said individuals interested in this line of work can look forward to limited-term employment as they work for five to 10 weeks in a fairly low-paying but still competitive position. Levy said the local Champaign area is hiring a fair number of people, and basic training and instruction are given to workers.

Levy said there is no previous training needed by workers, and the only three requirements are a driver’s license, a Social Security card and U.S. citizenship. Clerical skills, the ability to read and write, and basic organization skills are also considered.

By requiring thousands of workers within the upcoming year for these temporary jobs, the effect on the economic recession could be of some significance. Levy said the census experience is a good resume builder and could lead to more permanent jobs within the government a few years down the road.

“I think it’s a good way to get your foot in the door with the government,” Levy said. “They are looking for people that have this experience with the census to come back in a couple of years.”

Students around campus said they felt the new job opportunities would probably help those suffering from lack of employment.

“I probably would consider it, I’m a broke college student,” said Kirsten Faught, freshman in LAS.

Faught said there can be some problems with being a census taker.

“Sometimes people lie or don’t turn in their census forms,” she said.

“It can make it difficult for the census takers.”

Kathleen Walsh, freshman in LAS, said she would not consider the opportunity, but that the openings have the ability to help those in trouble.

“A job is a job,” she said.