Vote removes Blagojevich from office

By The Associated Press

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. – Illinois lawmakers have not only thrown out Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, they have barred him from ever holding public office in the state again.

Both votes were 59-0.

“I think he had it coming. If he’s going to be that arrogant and just blatantly disrespect the people of Illinois, he needs to be removed because he can’t effectively do his job,” Toni Tester, senior in LAS said.

Blagojevich’s removal comes nearly two months after his arrest on charges of trying to sell Barack Obama’s vacant Senate seat. He is the first U.S. governor in more than 20 years to be removed by impeachment.

“It’s kind of embarrassing that it took this much to get to where he would actually be removed because he should have been removed before now,” Marilyn Ruiz, professor of pathobiology, said.

Democratic Lt. Gov. Patrick Quinn automatically became the new governor.

State Rep. Naomi Jakobsson, D-103, said the Illinois Senate is looking forward to working with the new governor.

“I look forward to move ahead and get the work of the people done,” Jakobsson said.

Earlier in the day, Blagojevich came to the Senate to make a last-minute plea to save his job, warning lawmakers that they were about to set a “dangerous” and “chilling” precedent.

The former governor’s actions did not surprise Jakobsson who said his appearance in the Senate today was not a surprise because it is the way he has acted throughout his time in office.

“I think it’s the best damn thing that could happen,” said Marla Crook, library specialist to the University and resident of St. Joseph.

Check out tomorrow edition of The Daily Illini for more on Blagojevich’s removal from office.