Pat Quinn in 2010

By Mary Versaci

With Pat Quinn taking over ousted Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s position, the new governor and his fellow Democrats will have some choices to make before the 2010 gubernatorial election.

“I think he would run for re-election,” said Robert Rich, director of the Institute of Government and Public Affairs. “The only thing that would stop him would be if he had a particularly difficult time or became unpopular.”

Former Gov. Jim Edgar, now a distinguished fellow at the Institute of Government and Public Affairs, said he is not sure if Quinn will run in 2010.

“We have to wait and see how it plays out in the next two years,” he said.

Quinn’s first worry will be the Democratic primary, Edgar said.

Both Edgar and Rich said they agreed that Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan, also a Democrat, could run against Quinn for governor in the 2010 primary.

Rich said that Quinn has separated himself from Blagojevich for a long time by forming the Illinois Reform Commission.

Just changing governors will not fix all of Illinois’ problems, but Quinn should be able to make improvements, Edgar said.

One of the key issues facing Quinn is the state’s financial crisis and budget shortfalls.

“It will be tough for the new governor,” Edgar said.

Rich added Illinois Comptroller Dan Hynes as another possible candidate in 2010.

“I couldn’t tell you who would be the frontrunner for Republicans,” Edgar said.

Rich said current Illinois State Senator Bill Brady, Illinois Chamber of Commerce President Doug Whitley, Republican Head of Senate Christine Radogno and Ron Gidwitz, who ran for governor in 2006, as possible Republican candidates to run against Quinn.