President White addresses University budget concerns

By Sarah Small

President B. Joseph White was interviewed live on the University affiliated television station, WILL-TV, Monday night where he addressed questions pertaining to the current economic situation, and the University’s plan to cope.

At last week’s town hall meeting, Chancellor Richard Herman said the biggest expenditure for the University was on personal costs, which sparked concern from the audience that they would experience layoffs, pay cuts or furlough days, required days without pay.

“The first thing I want to say is I want, and the Board of Trustees and chancellors want, to keep people employed and receiving their paychecks during this very difficult recession,” White said. “We want to be part of the solution, not add to the problem.”

Because of the leadership crisis in Springfield over the past few years, the University does not know how much funding it will receive from the state however a plan has been created in the event that some state-promised funds need to be returned. Under this plan, 10 percent of funds can be returned to the state.

At last week’s town hall meeting the demographic was most vocal about the financial situation facing the University were leaders and members of various unions on campus who were concerned about being the first to be laid off or have their pay cut in the event of the University taking those steps.

White said he admired the approach Arizona State University was taking, where the highest paid workers were required to take the most furlough days, and the lowest paid workers were required to take the fewest furlough days.

“I think the highest earning people should take the highest hits,” White said. “I will happily take the lead with that.”