County Market store to open Feb. 19

For fresh groceries, head to County Market. Located a few blocks north of Green Street, no car is necessary.

By Kelly Gibbs

Editor’s note: In the original story, it stated that a Carle Clinic convenient care center would be located in County Market. It actually will be a Christie Clinic. The story below reflects this change. The Daily Illini regrets the error.

Niemann Foods is hosting a grand opening at 6 a.m. Feb. 19 for its new County Market grocery store, located at 331 Stoughton St. in Champaign, next to the Burnham 310 building.

“Customer service has been lacking for sometime in this area, and I believe they will see a difference with our services,” said Theresa Kamerer, Burnham 310 property manager. “Our niche market is the convenience of the grocery store.”

Niemann Foods is hoping to cater to University students and staff, as well as citizens of Champaign, said Gerry Kettler, director of consumer affairs at Niemann Foods.

“I think the new grocery store will be extremely convenient especially during the winter months; I am looking forward to it opening,” said Crini McCarthy, junior in ACES.

The 30,000 square foot store will feature Garcia’s Pizza by the slice, a Caribou Coffee Shop, takeout meals and an expanded deli. In an effort to target the student demographic, the store will also feature a Wi-Fi mezzanine and a Christie Clinic convenient care center, according to Kettler.

“I think this new store may eliminate the need for a car on campus,” said Anna Kruer, junior in LAS. “I also think a Wi-Fi center will be extremely useful for students.”

In 1940, Niemann Foods Inc. opened its first location in Quincy, Ill. This new County Market will be one of four in the Champaign-Urbana area.

“We’re excited about being in the Campustown location,” Kettler said. “We are longtime supporters of U of I, and it is a great way to continue this relationship.”

Kettler said the County Market grocery store has incorporated specific products to appeal to students.

“We want our customers to be able to get to know our new store and to become familiar with all it has to offer,” Kettler said. “We are aware of our student population and have incorporated elements to appeal to them such as providing local and organic foods.”

According to Kettler, store promotions such as samples and scan-to-win prizes will be a big part of the grand opening.

“We are really looking forward to the opening of County Market and believe it is something that is much anticipated by the students as well as the Champaign residents,” said TJ Blakeman, Champaign city planner. “With this new facility, students will have the ability to walk to the grocery store, which will help to eliminate the need for cars on campus and hopefully help the city with parking availability.”

Although the grocery store is in close proximity to the apartments, there will not be an entrance to the store from the apartments for security purposes.

“Burnham hospital has generated zero income in terms of new property values since its close in 1992, but the projects that are underway right now are going to revitalize that entire area,” said Champaign Mayor Gerald Schweighart.