Fire breaks out in Urbana residence halls

By Alissa Groeninger

A fire broke in Pennsylvania Avenue’s Blaisdell Residence Hall at 9:05 pm Wednesday night.

Urbana Fire Department Captain Bob Mullins said an overloaded clothing dryer and a possible lack of maintained in the vent of the dryer caused the fire. Lint that had built up caused the dryer to overheat.

Firefighters were on the scene one minute and 30 seconds after the fire began. Mullins did not know when the fire was put out.

When the fire started the dorm’s sprinkler system automatically turned on. There is no property damage estimate yet but Mullins said most of the damage will be from water, not the actual fire.

No one was injured.

    Sign up for our newsletter!