Police say man showed up drunk for jail

IOWA CITY, Iowa – Authorities say an Iowa City man may not have picked the best time to get loaded when he showed up drunk to serve a public intoxication sentence.

Now he faces another charge.

Police say the 19-year-old showed up at the Johnson County Jail on Tuesday to serve his three-day sentence, and officials smelled alcohol on his breath.

Court records say tests showed the man had a blood-alcohol content of 0.101 percent when he arrived at the jail.

A court date on the new charge hasn’t been set.

Court records say the man pleaded guilty to public intoxication in May 2008 and was convicted of a public intoxication second-offense last December.

Ex-parking head accused of stealing from city

NEW CASTLE, Pa. – A former parking official in a financially troubled Pennsylvania city is accused of stealing more than $100,000 from parking meters.

Gary Stone Jr. was laid off last year as head of New Castle’s parking authority. He was arraigned Thursday on theft charges.

County officials say the 33-year-old New Castle resident reported that the meters collected $342 for all of 2006 and 2007. When police took over the meter collections for the first time last year, they took in more than $54,000.

Stone’s home telephone is unlisted, and he has not returned a message left with relatives.

New Castle was declared financially distressed last year under a state law designed to help struggling communities. The declaration led to Stone’s layoff.

Compiled from Associated Press reports