Odds and Ends: $4 fix helps Pa. jail from flushing away thousands

By The Associated Press

SUNBURY, Pa. – A $4 fix may end up helping a central Pennsylvania jail from flushing away thousands of dollars.

Sunbury municipal officials had warned Northumberland County of $25,000-a-day fines if the county jail didn’t stop the flow of debris that’s been clogging up a sewer station. County officials say items like candy wrappers, plastic utensils, food containers and even blankets were being flushed.

Warden Ralph Reish (RISH) says a homemade trap costing less than $4 may solve the problem.

He says the trap was installed in one cell without the inmates’ knowledge. Because the debris could no longer empty into the sewer system, the toilet backed up and the inmates were disciplined.

The warden now plans to install the device on all 80 jail toilets.

Secularist group buying billboards to honor Darwin

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. – A secularist group is observing the 200th birthday of Charles Darwin with billboards that urge people to “Evolve Beyond Belief.”

The Freedom From Religion Foundation placed “Praise Darwin” billboards in Grand Junction; Dayton, Tenn.; Dover, Pa.; and Whitehall, Ohio. They feature stained-glass designs and a picture of the evolutionary theorist born on Feb. 12, 1809.

The Tennessee and Pennsylvania towns had landmark court cases about the teaching of evolution.

In Grand Junction, the foundation has complained about prayers in county meetings. The organization has battled Whitehall over nativity displays.

The Wisconsin-based foundation is made up of agnostics and atheists opposed to government displays of religion.