Students enjoy unseasonably warm February weather

By Rachel Small

After last week’s viciously cold weather, students are getting an early glimpse of spring.

“It’s nice to be able to sit outside,” said Kelsey Hogaboom, freshman in DGS.

Hogaboom seized the opportunity to do homework outside of the Union this afternoon.

State climatologist Jim Angel said that although Champaign- Urbana reached 62 degrees, it was not enough to break the record of 68 degrees set in 1932.

“It’s pretty hard to beat records from this point in February on,” Angel said. “Most of the records are in the upper 60’s and above.”

While not all students opted to ditch their coats at home, Ben Westergaard, senior in FAA, wore his shorts for the first time this year yesterday and today.

Westergaard used the respite from winter weather to not only mix up his wardrobe, but also to take some walks and let some fresh air into his home.

“I am absolutely loving the warmth,” he said.

Rebecca Poulter, freshman in LAS, opted for a campus favorite with two of her friends: Frisbee on the Quad.

“It is super nice to really get outside just to blow off steam,” she said.

According to the National Weather service, rain is expected early Wednesday morning and severe thunderstorms later that day.

Temperatures are expected to drop over the next few days into the weekend, with a chance of snow Friday and Saturday.