Odds and Ends: Police: Fla. dad let 8-year-old son drive van

BRADENTON, Fla. – Police in southwest Florida arrested a man they say let his 8-year-old son drive a van.

Police in Bradenton arrested 34-year-old Mark A. Belanger just before midnight Sunday on charges of child abuse and permitting an unlicensed driver to drive.

A police report says the boy hit two trees and nearly hit two people in a parking lot. Belanger told police he’d taken Xanax, used to treat anxiety and panic attacks, and was “feeling woozy and didn’t want to drive.” He said he thought letting his son drive would be a “bonding moment.”

The boy told police his father took “liquid medicine” to feel better, pointing to an empty whiskey bottle in the vehicle. Belanger remained in jail Wednesday on a $10,120 bond. Jail records did not show if he has an attorney.

Philly transit agency sells pass with photo of NYC

PHILADELPHIA – You might feel a little lost if you’ve bought a discount pass sold by Philadelphia’s primary mass transit agency – it features a picture of New York City.

The pass is marked with the logo for Philly Beer Week, a festival celebrating local breweries and taverns. The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority is selling the pass to discourage people from driving from one event to another during the festival.

A spokeswoman for the agency, Jerri Williams, says transit officials liked the look of the pass but didn’t realize the stock photo was of the wrong city. New passes are being printed.

The festival runs March 6 to March 15.

Compiled from Associated Press reports