State bailing on Burris

**FOR USE ANYTIME WITH BURRIS STORIES ** ** FILE** In this Dec. 30, 2008, file photo Gov. Rod Blagojevich stuns everyone at a Chicago news conference by naming Roland Burris as Illinois junior senator, appointing him to the very seat the governor is accused of trying to sell. At the time, Burris said he had no connection to the charges against Blagojevich and the next day insisted that being named to the Senate by Blagojevich doesnt mean he is tainted by the scandal. I am not associated with him, Burris said. Hes carrying out his constitutional and statutory duties. That is not being associated with him. (AP Photo/Paul Beaty)

AP

**FOR USE ANYTIME WITH BURRIS STORIES ** ** FILE** In this Dec. 30, 2008, file photo Gov. Rod Blagojevich stuns everyone at a Chicago news conference by naming Roland Burris as Illinois’ junior senator, appointing him to the very seat the governor is accused of trying to sell. At the time, Burris said he had no connection to the charges against Blagojevich and the next day insisted that being named to the Senate by Blagojevich doesn’t mean he is tainted by the scandal. “I am not associated with him,” Burris said. “He’s carrying out his constitutional and statutory duties. That is not being ‘associated’ with him.” (AP Photo/Paul Beaty)

Black pastors to ask senator to resign

CHICAGO – A group of black ministers who supported U.S. Sen. Roland Burris as he fought to get his job now plans to ask for his resignation following revelations that he tried to raise money for the disgraced governor who appointed him, one of the ministers told The Associated Press on Thursday.

Many of the city’s influential black pastors previously supported Burris because of his scandal-free reputation – even though he was appointed by then-Governor Rod Blagojevich three weeks after the governor was arrested for allegedly trying to sell the Senate seat.

Now some of those pastors will ask Burris to resign, according to the minister, who spoke on condition of anonymity because a meeting with Burris had not yet been scheduled.

Burris’ lobbying list doesn’t match records

CHICAGO – At least 10 names are missing from a list of lobbying clients U.S. Sen. Roland Burris has given to Illinois legislators, according to state and local records.

But Burris’ attorney, Timothy Wright III, told The Associated Press Thursday that he never promised a complete list.

On Feb. 5, Wright gave state Rep. Barbara Flynn Currie a list of 26 clients and the years they retained Burris for lobbying purposes. A review by The (Springfield) State Journal-Register found that Burris’ list does not match records kept by the Illinois secretary of state, the Cook County clerk or the Chicago Board of Ethics.

Wright said Thursday that he told lawmakers he would give them what Burris had.

Under oath last month, Burris said he would hand over a complete list of his lobbying firm’s clients.

Illinois GOP wants Burris out, special election to select next senator

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. – While Sen. Roland Burris fights for political survival, Illinois Republicans said Thursday they’re pushing legislation to change state law, allowing a special election on May 26 that could potentially oust the beleaguered Democrat.

More than a dozen GOP lawmakers announced the effort at the Capitol, saying it’s the only way to fix the state’s political mess.

“We can begin repairing our state’s reputation,” said Sen. Matt Murphy, R-Palatine. “Returning – to use the phrase – that ‘bleeping golden’ Senate seat back to the people is the only real solution to the state’s embarrassing problem.”

Murphy was referring to a profane reference Blagojevich allegedly made on an FBI wiretapped conversation about trying to auction off the seat vacated by Barack Obama to the highest bidder.

Democrat Blagojevich was arrested and later impeached and removed from office, but not before appointing Burris to the seat.

Mayor Daley steers clear of Burris controversy

CHICAGO – Chicago Mayor Richard Daley clearly doesn’t want to get involved in the ongoing debate over the future of embattled U.S. Sen. Roland Burris.

Burris is engulfed in controversy over his contact with former Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s advisers before Blagojevich appointed him to fill the Senate seat vacated by President Barack Obama.

Daley told reporters Thursday that Burris has to explain – but he wouldn’t elaborate on what Burris should explain about.

Sun-Times calls for resignation

CHICAGO – The Chicago Sun-Times says that U.S. Sen. Roland Burris must resign.

The Sun-Times called for Burris to step down in a newspaper editorial published Thursday. The newspaper also says U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin needs to ask Burris to quit.

The Chicago Tribune, The Washington Post, The State Journal-Register in Springfield and the Peoria Journal Star also have called for Burris to resign. The Rockford Register Star said in an editorial that Burris should retire when his term ends in two years.

From Associated Press reports