Cru, LGBT hold religious panel, plan for future

It’s been said that a good rule of thumb is to avoid religion and politics in conversation.

A panel discussion held last Thursday between Campus Crusade for Christ and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender resources challenged both, but after each group walked out the door feeling better understo…It’s been said that a good rule of thumb is to avoid religion and politics in conversation.

A panel discussion held last Thursday between Campus Crusade for Christ and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender resources challenged both, but after each group walked out the door feeling better understood, students were left wondering if it will last.

“People have come up to me and conversation has continued, which shows how progressive those people (Cru) are,” said Lihy Epstein, LGBT panel member and sophomore in LAS.

Epstein said she caught a ride home from a Cru member and ended up talking with her and another audience member until midnight. Epstein said she is attending one of the meetings for Cru’s Naked Jesus series.

She added that post-discussion, five to six Cru members, including an individual on the panel, approached her and asked how they could get information about events going on in the LGBT community.

Other panel members have opened the lines of communication by becoming Facebook friends with one another, said Jessica Easter, LGBT panel member and sophomore in Media.

But some said they are thinking more long term for the future between the groups.

Easter said she was happy that the discussion, which surrounded whether the Bible is accepting of members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual transgender, queer, questioning and ally community, got the ball rolling, but hopes to set up a debate with either Cru or InterVarsity. She said that although the discussion was needed and educational, a debate would address more topics and allow for both sides to respectfully rebut each other.

“There were some things I wanted to say, but I was more interested in hearing the audience members’ questions,” Easter said.

Though a few members in each group have taken action, many have expressed the desire to set up events between the two groups.

Easter may get that chance as Steve Elworth, Cru panel discussion member and senior in Business, said he wants to build on the bonds formed at the meeting.

“I hope and can pretty confidently say there will be more things that happen, whether it be doing events with them or going to events with them on friendship levels,” Elworth said,

He added that although he currently helps oversee the Naked Jesus series, which conflicts with events held by the LGBT community, he hopes to attend more LGBT events once the series is over.

“I hope to set up an event with them at least in the next year, if not throughout the semester,” Elworth said. “I hope that this would be a long-standing relationship.”