“Flash mob” on the Quad doesn’t catch on

An event that had nearly 2,900 confirmed attendees on Facebook turned out to be less than success as the scheduled noon “Flash Mob” on the Main Quad had roughly 50-100 participants.

According to the Facebook event “University of Illinois Flash Mob 2009 – Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day,” participants were supposed to head to the Main Quad before 11:55. At that time, everyone on quad was supposed to drop to the ground and pretend to nap for 10 minutes. At 12:05, everyone was to go about their day as if nothing happened.

The event was less than a success, but some people were still able to enjoy it. Nicholas Wood, a student in LAS, said he participated in the flash mob because it’s a wonderful way for students to express themselves while also enjoying a quick nap.

Others thought it didn’t live up to the hype.

“I thought it would be better than this. I’m a little disappointed,” said Olga Lopez, a University student.

Already, posts on the Facebook event have called expressed it was an “epic fail.”

“It was about the level of stupidity I was expecting,” Marcus Cole, junior at the University.

Wood said he expected the video from it to be posted on YouTube.

Antonio Burnett and Bridget Mulcahy contributed to this report.