University awarded $2 million from stimulus package

By Hannah Hess

Over $2 million of the Omnibus Appropriations Act passed Tuesday by Congress will be invested in University projects, according to a release by Assistant Senate Majority Leader Dick Durbin.

The largest share is a $745,000 grant for soybean research into using genomics and genetic engineering to improve drought resistance, disease tolerance and resistance to soybean cyst nematode and soybean rust.

Another $564,00 will be spent on livestock genome sequencing with the aim of identifying every gene of the cattle and swine species, and to establish a database to identify the function of these genes.

The Future Foods project will receive $461,000 for efforts to improve public health by identifying and utilizing healthy attributes in food products. The federal funds will support research on the relationship between these attributes and human health and nutrition, as well as how to process, store and package these compounds.

The Center for One Medicine will use $235,000 on research, education and outreach efforts to improve the nation’s preparedness to respond to natural and intentional exposure to biological, chemical, and physical threats to public health.