Student senate continues debate on pending sales tax increase

The Illinois Student Senate met Wednesday to discuss several appropriations and resolutions.

One of the biggest issues was that of the 1 percent increase in the sales tax, a referendum to be voted on during the on the April Champaign County ballot.

Guest speaker Diana Visek, chair of the Champaign County Libertarian Party, was on hand to speak about this issue.

“In my opinion, this is the wrong tax at the wrong time,” Visek said.

Visek said the tax, previously defeated in November’s election, was regressive in nature and would create problems for people already dealing with financial problems.

Visek said that the tax could cause problems for individuals hoping to escape the already above average property taxes in Illinois.

“This is not a tax swap,” Visek said. “This is a tax increase.”

Carey Ash, student senator and graduate student, said that the tax increase could help improve school systems and capabilities.

“Either we can invest the 1 percent or we can pay for it later in terms of social programs,” Ash said.

Carlos Rosa, student senator and sophomore in LAS, said there was a direct correlation between how students learned and the types of facilities in which they were educated.

Visek said she was concerned about the schools, but thought there were better ways to go about improvement.

“I am not saying that education is not important,” Visek said. “But that is what has messed us over politically.”

A resolution concerning Student Labor Week of Action, proposed by Rosa, was also discussed and referred to committee.

The week, taking place from March 27 to April 4, is designed for different organizations to focus on the labor movement, Rosa said.

“It calls for students to live up to the goals that Martin Luther King, Jr. established,” Rosa said.

Senators also discussed and passed an appropriation for the upcoming U of I Day Luncheon, allowing budget funds to be distributed for the event.