University Health Fair encourages healthy living

By Jen Harvey

The health fair, themed “Mardi Gras – Jazz up Your Health,” runs from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today, Tuesday, April 21.

Elliott, junior in engineering, donated ten inches. She said she has been waiting to donate her hair for a while.

“Since my hair was so long, I’ve been thinking about donating it,” Elliott said. “I got the e-mail from our philanthropy chair advertising the opportunity and decided to do it with a few of my friends.”

Custom Cuts of Champaign did the haircuts for Locks of Love and participated in the fair as a program sponsored through the Volunteer Illini Projects.

The Champaign-Urbana Public Health District paired up with the University of Illinois at Chicago School of Nursing to offer free cholesterol screenings for those attending the fair. Krista Jones, a college of nursing instructor, stressed the importance of healthy cholesterol levels.

“Cholesterol screening is important because individuals in our community need to be aware of their levels,” Jones said. “High cholesterol levels increase the risk of heart disease and this can be corrected through proper dietary measures.”

Special Populations estimates the average cost for a cholesterol screening is $200.

Other fair attendees had their nails painted through the Concept College of Cosmetology or received massages from one of the four massage therapy vendors.

Special Populations estimated that last year’s attendance was around 5,000 people and the group is hoping for the same turnout this year.

“It might be a bit slow compared to this time last year,” Jamie Ishcomer, Special Populations Vice President, said. “We guessing the rain has something to do with the low turnout, but we’re thinking attendance will improve around lunch time.”