Illinois law extends medical coverage to age 26 for students after graduation

By Rosie Powers

With new Illinois legislation, University students graduating college may no longer have to worry about supplying their own medical insurance.

Not for a few years, at least.

Public Act 95-0958, scheduled to be enacted on June 1, states that student’s can stay on a parent’s medical plan until they are 26 years old if they remain unmarried.

The legislation requires that parents pay for the coverage and does not apply to policies outside the state of Illinois.

As jobs remain scarce, some University students said they recognize the policy’s benefit.

“I think that this law is a great idea,” said Kendyl Lyons, sophomore in LAS. “A lot of times people may not have jobs right out of school, so they don’t have the money to insure themselves.”

Previously, companies could refuse family coverage of children who had graduated college.

Coverage was discontinued as soon as the student graduated. But with the recent economic downturn and more students potentially attending graduate school, some say the legislation is essential for citizens in their 20’s to have medical coverage in the event of an emergency.

Insurance companies said the switch will not come without increased cost to insurance holders.

“Insurance holders will now have young adults being part of a health plan that previously haven’t been eligible,” said Kevin Martin, executive director of the Illinois Insurance Association. “It’s somewhat limited, but still, costs are going to increase.”

Martin said when the legislation was suggested, insurance companies asked for time to prepare for the expanded insurance plan.

According to the legislation, parents are given a 90-day enrollment period to enact the policy after their child’s coverage is up for renewal.

The period is available within the first year of the law’s passage, from June 1, 2009 to May 31, 2010. After that, insurance companies can charge a coverage requirement for children.

For students wanting to enroll after the 90-day enrollment period, parents can add them as a dependent within 30 days if a special circumstance occurs, according to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Web site.

Although the law will demonstrate changes for insurance holders in Illinois, Martin said it might not be as drastic as expected.

“I don’t believe this switch will have negative effects,” Martin said. “Citizens within this age group are less likely to have as many health issues as older groups, so it shouldn’t be astronomically more expensive.”

Other students might view the legislation as an opportunity to lessen the burden on graduates, even if it may have come late.

“It’s great because it gives students an incentive to continue with their education,” said Luke Belding, senior in ACES. “I have two brothers in law school that are struggling right now, and they really would have appreciated this.”