Odds and Ends 6-23-2009

Loose pigs shut down Ark. interstate

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — Hogs on the highway aren’t always motorcycles.

Arkansas State Police say a tractor-trailer rig hauling pigs overturned early Monday on a major highway and some of the four-legged hogs got loose.

The wreck and the roaming porkers closed a stretch of Interstate 430 connecting Little Rock to North Little Rock.

State Police spokesman Bill Sadler said morning commuters were detoured around the area as troopers and others tried to corral the escaped hogs.

The swine could weigh 800 pounds each.

Authorities said the truck was carrying about 90 hogs. Some of them remained in the trailer while others tried for freedom.

Job search turns into tour of nation’s major-league ballparks

CINCINNATI — A Washington, D.C. couple who lost their government jobs are turning a job search into a tour of the nation’s major-league ball parks.

Roberto Coquis and Judy Pino say the idea hit them when they traveled to Indianapolis for job interviews. They had already been to a game in Washington to see the Nationals, so they have added home games with the Cleveland Indians, Chicago Cubs, Kansas City Royals, St. Louis Cardinals and Pittsburgh Pirates.

On Sunday, they were in Cincinnati to see the Reds and Chicago White Sox, then left for Atlanta to see the Braves play the New York Yankees.

Springfield cop accused of criminal sexual assault, relations with family

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — A 22-year veteran of the Springfield Police Department has been arrested on charges of criminal sexual assault and sexual relations with family.

The Associated Press isn’t naming the 51-year-old officer because he hasn’t been formally charged.

He’s in custody at the Sangamon County Jail on $250,000 bond.

Springfield police say the officer was arrested Sunday evening on charges of predatory criminal sexual assault, criminal sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual abuse and sexual relations with family.

Springfield police say the officer has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of criminal and internal affairs investigations.

From Associated Press reports