Odds and Ends 6-30-2009

Man gets 81 years in prison for 2006 Ill. pizza delivery murder

ST. CHARLES, Ill. — A judge has sentenced a 31-year-old man to 81 years in prison for the 2006 death of a suburban Chicago pizza delivery woman.

Bradley Justice of Sandwich showed no emotion in court on Monday as he was sentenced.

Last month, he pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and armed robbery in the death of 41-year-old Karen Hassan, whose body was found in November 2, 2006, in an industrial park in West Chicago.

Prosecutors say Justice beat Hassan with a hammer as she delivered the pizza.

Justice was arrested in Tuscola the following day after he was traced using Hassan’s cell phone and credit cards.

Legislator wants luggage limits

CHICAGO — An Illinois Democrat is making airline luggage a legislative priority.

A bill U.S. Rep. Dan Lipinski introduced this month would set a federal limit on the size of carry-on bags and personal items passengers can take onto airliners.

He says safety and convenience are at issue.

Since most airlines began charging for checked baggage, people are carrying more onto planes. And Lipinksi says those who board last often don’t have space for their bags.

He’s worried about bags falling from compartments and hurting passengers.

Lipinski’s not stopping there. Among other proposals is legislation to cap the fees airlines can charge for checked bags.

Daycare worker gets probation in child battery case

HARRISBURG, Ill. — A daycare worker who investigators say put hot sauce on the tongues of children as a way to discipline them has been ordered to spend a year on probation as part of a plea deal.

Twenty-eight-year-old Christi Bailey of Harrisburg also was fined $1,000 when sentenced Friday after pleading guilty in Saline County to one count of battery that accused her of dragging a child by his arm.

Authorities had said Bailey put hot sauce on the tongues of four children at Little Angels Learning Center between last October and Feb. 13.

Investigators also contend Bailey grabbed a child and slammed her into a chair and dragged a child into the daycare’s office while squeezing his arm.

From Associated Press reports