Finalists for UI college of media named

Four finalists have been identified for the University’s College of Media dean position, to replace interim dean Walt Harrington, University journalism professor.

The four remaining candidates are:

• Steve Jones, University of Illinois at Chicago Department of Communication. Jones is a professor of Communications and the associate dean of LAS. He earned his Ph.D. in communications research at UIUC. He has earned critical acclaims in international media through his books and is currently the co-editor of New Media & Society. He also edits two series of books titled New Media Cultures and Digital Formations.
  • Laurence Alexander, University of Florida Graduate School journalism professor and associate dean. Alexander was an inaugural member of UF Academy of Distinguished Teaching Scholars in 2005. His research area of focus is the First Amendment, media law and policies and student free speech issues. His research has been published in many scholarly journals. Alexander has also worked for The Houma Courier, The Times-Picayune and The Philadelphia Inquirer.
  • Gary Kebbel, John S. and James L. Knight Foundation journalism program director. Kebbel taught online courses in journalism for the University of Maryland, was graphics editor as USA Today and was news director at America Online. His work in online news sites includes helping create USAtoday.com and Newsweek.com, along with being a home page editor at washintonpost.com. He earned a masters degree in political science and journalism at the University of Illinois.
  • John Pavlik, chairman and professor, Rutgers University Department of Journalism and Media Studies. Pavlik has written books on media including Journalism and New Media, New Media Technology and most recently Media in the Digital Age. He also co-authored Coverging Media. He was the associate director for Research and Technology Studies and executive director of The Center for New Media at Columbia University. He earned his Ph.D. in mass communication at the University of Minnesota.

Each candidate will visit campus for two days beginning Nov. 30 until Dec. 15.

Whoever is elected dean will replace Harrington, who has been dean since Ron Yates resigned earlier this fall.