UI graduate student dies in hit-and-run accident

The University graduate student’s memorial will take place 5:30 p.m. December 5 at the Twin Cities Bible Church, 806 W. Michigan Ave. in Urbana.

According to Illinois State Police Sgt. William Emery, Zhou died Tuesday from a hit-and-run car accident on Interstate 74.

Zhou was returning from a trip to Niagra Falls with four friends, three of whom are still hospitalized.

John Unsworth, dean of the Graduate School of Library and Information Science, said Zhou was president of a Chinese students group on campus. He said students in the group helped him get in touch with Zhou’s parents.

“I was able to talk to her father at about 7 o’clock last night (Tuesday),” he said.

Unsworth said he and another student are working to help the parents, who are out of the country, find a means of travel.

“She was a wonderful person. She had a lot of friends. She was a leader in her classes,” he added.

There will be counseling available on December 1 at noon in room 131 of the Graduate School of Library and Information Science Building located at 501 E. Daniel Street.

An Urbana man has been arrested in connection with her death, according to a press release.