ISS elections to focus on UI finances

Candidates for seats in the 2010-2011 Illinois Student Senate are starting to emerge after applications became available Jan. 21.

The next student trustee, who meets with the University’s Board of Trustees as the campus’s student representative, will also be decided during the election, which will take place March 2 and 3.

Matt Reschke, the current student trustee, said the position highlights the importance of transparency with the board, because students will look to the trustee as their voice among the administration.

“They need to keep in mind what the constituents think and feel on the topics,” Reschke said. He added that the University’s financial situation is the important topic.

David Wall, vice president-external of ISS and sophomore in LAS, said he will be one of the candidates running for student trustee.

“I think at this point with everything that has occurred and will potentially occur in the next couple of months and even the years, leadership is needed,” Wall said.

Wall said he served as an officer in the United States Navy and was the first freshman to head a student senate committee.

At the time of publication, no other candidates expressing interest in running for Student Trustee could be reached.

In the senate race, current ISS member Chris Pudelek said he plans on running as a senator in the LAS Social Sciences category. “The senate is heading in the right direction right now,” Pudelek said. “We could be doing a little bit more, but I think our main goal would be to correct the negative image that the University has in the media.”

Pudelek said he has been involved in ISS since freshman year, when he acted as an intern.

Current ISS Senator Cole Goldenberg said he is undecided about running again because of the large time commitment the position requires. Goldenberg was a write-in candidate for the College of Aviation representative last year.

Goldenberg said being a part of ISS is one of the best ways to get involved at the University.

“You get to make a real difference on campus, that was kind of a huge motivation factor,” he added.

In contrast to Wall, Pudelek and Goldenberg, who are currently members of the senate, there are also several students looking to get involved with the senate for the first time. Max Ellithorpe, freshman in LAS, said he is hoping to be elected as a representative for the College of LAS. He said if elected, he wants to focus on public safety, diversity and financial issues.

Also hoping to be elected for the first time is Neil Vohra, freshman in Business. Vohra, who is an intern with ISS, said that he wants to be more involved with the University’s budget and financial issues.

“One thing I’m very particular about is our role in all the scandals that are going on right now,” he said.

He added that his goal as a senator would be to consult with College of Business students in order to make sure their voice is heard.

All candidates will meet Feb. 1 in the Law Building for a mandatory meeting regarding the pre-election procedures at 7:30 p.m.