Freeze for Peace holds second annual run

About 40 students running around in their underwear and costumes took over the Quad on Saturday afternoon for the second annual “Freeze for Peace” run, sponsored by the registered student organization Invisible Conflicts, to raise money for children in Uganda.

Alanna Elinoff, senior in LAS and vice president of Invisible Conflicts, said the point of the event is to do something crazy to gain attention for the cause.

“The executive director (of the YMCA) said that if he could get $200 of sponsorship that he would actually himself run in his boxers, which is exciting to have so much support from the YMCA,” Elinoff said.

Elinoff said the proceeds go to Peace Together Uganda, an organization dedicated to improving the lives of Ugandan children who cannot provide for themselves.

“It’s a measurable difference that you can actually see,” Elinoff said. “We have people go to Uganda to make sure all the money is being spent accordingly. We get updates on all the students.”

The fee to run was $10 per person, but that money can be stretched to help the 20 children that Invisible Conflicts has been sponsoring, said Jessica Loiacono, junior in LAS and member of the group.

“They are orphans from HIV parents and/or the 25 year civil war that Uganda just got out of,” Loiacono said.

Loiacono said that while school is paid for by the government in Uganda, there are still fees for uniforms and other necessities that the children do not have the money for.

The cost for the school year is $21 for a primary student and $36 for a secondary student, Loiacano said.

Many children in Uganda have been used as soldiers and are in need of very basic things, said Apexa Mamtora, freshman in LAS. She said Peace Together Uganda is trying to make better communities in the country.

“You’re helping a child get a future,” Mamtora said. “You’re helping a place that you couldn’t even imagine how destroyed it was.”

Dan Stowell, senior in LAS, participated in the event wearing a banana hammock and snorkeling equipment.

“It’s an absolutely great cause,” Stowell said. “It raises so much awareness being out here and acting like a buffoon.”