Engineering career fair provides students with job and internship opportunities

An engineering career fair is being held Tuesday and Wednesday from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. in Illini Union rooms A, B and C. The fair, hosted by Engineering Career Services, is for students seeking full-time positions, semester and summer internships and co-ops.

Companies looking to hire include Bank of America, Facebook, Intel Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, Texas Instruments and State Farm Insurance.

Aaron Blythe, a recruiter from healthcare information company Cerner Corporation said the company is looking for interns and full-time workers. He said Cerner Corporation is accepting students of all years to work as software engineers and delivery consultants.

Hulu recruiter Nick Chang said the company is looking for juniors and seniors with web development to work as programmers. He said prior experience helps but is not necessary.

Undergraduates and graduate students were present at the career fair.

Thomas Schlapkohl, graduate student in aerospace engineering, said he was looking for a full-time entry-level job.

Schlapkohl said that while many government-funded organizations are hiring, a lot of smaller companies are not.

“Some of the people are more helpful than others,” he said.

Claire Slupski, a freshman in mechanical engineering, said she is looking for a co-op position for fall 2010 or spring 2011. Slupski said she found the career fair helpful and though it is difficult for a freshman to find a co-op, she is hoping to gain work experience early in her college life.

Slupski said most people at the career fair are looking for internships, and that most companies aren’t accustomed to freshman looking for co-ops.

“I’m hoping to take some time off school to start working,” she said.