Meet this year’s Student Trustee candidates

Owais Ahmed

A1_MUG_Ahmed,Owais.jpg

Junior in LAS, member of Student Organization Resource Fee( or SORF) Board

Ahmed was involved in Illinois Student Senate during his freshman and sophomore years as a staffer and member of the outreach committee, respectively.

He also participated in the Registered Student Organization Model United Nations.

“The reason why I chose (to campaign for student trustee) is because I think I can make the most difference on campus,” Ahmed said.

“I want to make sure that the student trustee is not just a ceremonial position.”

He said he hopes to help the University cut down on unnecessary spending.

“Obviously you want to reduce tuition, but during tough economic times it’s really difficult,” Ahmed said. “We want to make sure that when the Board of Trustees makes a decision to increase tuition, it is the very last resort.”

Ahmed added that he hopes to increase transparency within the Board of Trustees.

Daniel Soso

A1_MUG_Soso,Daniel.JPG

Junior in Engineering, president of For Aspiring Civil Engineers, or F.A.C.E.

Soso said that he decided to run for student trustee because there are many small things that should be changed around campus that only a student would notice.

“I feel like the role of the student trustee is to make the Board of Trustees aware of student concerns,” Soso said.

He said the Board is aware of big issues on campus, but there are numerous smaller ones that only someone with a student’s perspective would notice.

Soso said he hopes to improve wireless Internet service at the Undergraduate Library and increase lighting on the Quad.

“I think one of the biggest issues that students need to focus on is that we are in a budget crisis, and there are going to be cuts made,” Soso said. “We need to make sure that those cuts don’t come with consequences to the students.”

Soso is also a member of the fraternity Alpha Tau Omega and the honors fraternity Phi Eta Sigma.

David Wall

A1_MUG_Wall,David.JPG

Sophomore in LAS, Illinois Student Senate’s vice president-external

Wall has been involved in the Military Education Council that oversees the ROTC program, Assembly Hall Advisory Committee, the provost search committee and the Chancellor’s Commission on Student Veterans. He has also served as a petty officer in the United States Navy.

“I think at this point in the history of the University of Illinois, leadership is absolutely necessary,” Wall said. “I think I’m just that candidate given my experience not only at the University level but just in general.”

Wall said he hopes to help make the University more self-sufficient and not as dependent on state funding.

He also said he wanted to work toward a student-driven letter drive, such as the Lincoln Hall letter drive held last year. The letter drive consists of students writing letters to alumni to ask for donations.

“I think we need to focus on experience, make sure that the candidate is someone who can work with administrators,” he said.

Dan Weber

A1_MUG_Weber,Dan_bm.jpg

Junior in LAS, former member of Illinois Student Senate

Weber was elected as student trustee last year, but was removed because of campaign violations. The runner-up candidate, Matt Reschke, assumed the position.

“I’m personally running because there are issues that matter to me that aren’t going to get the same attention by other candidates,” Weber said.

The issues that Weber plans to focus on if elected are minority attention in the incoming freshman class, LGBT advancement, renovating cultural houses, improving campus sustainability and protecting student jobs.

“A lot of students are paying for college with the jobs that they work everyday after they get done with their classes and their homework,” he said.

Weber said he hopes to represent minority groups on campus.

“Students should pay attention to things that affect their lives everyday, the things that matter to them,” Weber said.

Election:

Feb. 16: Petition signatures are due

Fifty petition signatures needed for ISS and SORF Board, 150 for student trustee

Mar. 2 to 3: Election days

Mar. 4 at 5 p.m.: Unofficial results

Mar. 8: Results certified

Restrictions:

Candidates cannot run as a party

Registered student organizations cannot endorse candidates

Spending Limits: $150 for ISS/SORF Board, $500 for Student Trustee

No classroom campaigning

Cannot campaign in residence halls without permit

Only public bulletin boards are permitted

No campaigning within 50 feet of University computer labs

Cannot chalk benches, only sidewalks

Restrictions apply to all people part of campaign

Source: Student Election Commission’s Web site