President Ikenberry makes call for help

Interim President Stanley Ikenberry wrote an e-mail to the Illinois Connection network Tuesday, pleading for individuals to step up and take a stand for the University during the current budget crisis.

He outlined the University’s budget problems and how they correlate with the state’s fiscal crisis. The University has received only 17 percent of the funds appropriated to it by the Illinois General Assembly.

Ikenberry asked individuals to contact their local elected officials and speak to them about the value of the University. He also urged people to write a letter to their local newspaper. In the e-mail, Ikenberry said he hoped these actions will result in the appropriation being paid as passed by the General Assembly and signed by the governor.

Groups petition for Manning-Carter

Champaign-Urbana Citizens for Peace and Justice (CUCPJ) will be holding a press conference Wednesday, Feb. 17 at 2 p.m. in the Champaign County Courthouse.

CUCPJ will deliver petition signatures demanding the State’s Attorney drop the charges against Jeshaun Manning-Carter, who was with Kiwane Carrington Oct. 9 when Carrington was killed by a Champaign police officer. Manning-Carter is facing felony charges of resisting an officer and will be in court at 2:45 p.m. in courtroom C.

The group said two University students will deliver a statement with student signatures they have collected.

Climbing PoeTree to perform at Allen Hall

Alixa Garcia and Naima Penniman, the soul-sister duo known as Climbing PoeTree, will perform poetic excerpts and share stories and inspiration from their tour, Hurricane Season: the hidden messages in water. The event includes a multimedia show to merge performance with activism.

Garcia and Penniman’s show called “ART is our WEAPON, our MEDICINE, our VOICE, our VISION,” will begin at 7 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 21 in the South Rec Room of Allen Residence Hall, 1005 W. Gregory Drive, Urbana. The performance is free and open to the public.

Main Library to feature new exhibit

The printed works of Amos Paul Kennedy Jr. are on display at the University’s Main Library through March 3, 2010. The exhibit, called “Speaking Unconventionally” includes books, posters and other items by the artist from his collection at The Rare Book and Manuscript Library. The display also features some recent photos.

Amos Paul Kennedy Jr. is known for using media to convey ideas about issues such as race and gender.