UI librarian wins national award

The 2010 Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Women’s Studies Section (WSS) Career Achievement Award was presented to Ciny Ingold, women and gender resources librarian at the University of Illinois. This award honors librarians for their contributions to the field of women’s studies throughout their career.

Ingold will be awarded $1,000 and a plaque at the WSS program June 28 in Washington D.C. She is honored for her work in building services for women’s resources and being an “embedded librarian,” who works directly with the people. She has published journal articles and supports women’s studies.

“Cindy has continuously demonstrated significant contributions and dedication to Women’s Studies librarianship, including her extensive service to WSS and ACRL, as well as her exemplary publications,” said Diana King, chair of the WSS award committee and associate librarian at the UCLA Arts Library in a press release. “These include her co-editorship of “Women’s Studies: A Recommended Bibliography” (2004), co-editorship and article contribution to a special issue of Library Trends on “Gender Issues in Information Needs and Services” and numerous other publications and presentations.”

Ingold was nominated by Library and Information Science librarian Sue Searing, who was on the committee that hired Ingold. Searing also won the award in 2000.

“It is really pleasing to me when this award goes to people that deserve it,” Searing said.”Cindy has a very upbeat and can-do attitude. She is one of the most competent and dedicated people that I know and has worked very hard at building gender equality.”