Operation Campus/ Tap program active

The Illinois State Police (ISP) and the Champaign Police Department conducted two Operation Campus/ Tap details on Feb. 27 and March 6. A total of 64 citations were issued at 12 bars in Champaign.

According to a press release from ISP, the purpose of the Operation Campus/ Tap program is to reduce underage drinking in Illinois. The program is focused on underage drinking among both college and high school students. It addresses driving under the influence, the sale of alcohol to minors and the illegal consumption or possession of alcohol or drugs by minors.

60 citations were issued for possession or purchase of alcohol, one citation for sale of Alcohol to a minor and one for aggravated battery of a Police Officer. Possible consequences for these offenses include suspension of driver’s license by the Illinois Secretary of State for up to one year or longer. Bar checks were conducted at 12 bar locations and two campus street level areas in Champaign County.

Citations were issued at CO Daniel’s, Joe’s Brewery, It’s Brother’s, Murphy’s Pub, Legend’s, Chester Street Bar, Fire Haus and Sation 211, where nine citations were issued. 17 additional citations were issued in the “Campus Area.”

The Operation Campus/ Tap program is funded through a grant from the United States Department of Justice, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. The Illinois Department of Human Services administers this grant.