ExplorACES event opens up campus to interested high school students

On Friday, the ExplorACES event was in full swing with high school and grade school students touring the ACES campus. The students were checking out the departmental booths in the ACES library and the exhibits in Turner Hall and the Agricultural Engineering Sciences Building.

The event was a success in providing more information to admitted students and fostering interest in prospective students.

Ron Dymerski Jr., an admitted student from Will county, said the event was “good for networking.”

His mother Darlene Dymerksi said, “It opens up the campus, so you can see everything.”

“It is a way to see what your child will being doing,” she added.

Ashley Huisinga, a junior in high school from Monticello said the most interesting exhibit was the floral design to music.

She said she was already considering attending the university, and the day has further interested her in the possibility.

Alex Villarreal, freshman at Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences, said, “It was really interesting learning about the campus. We got to see everything.”

The best part was touring the greenhouse and seeing all the interesting plants, he said.

Loren Goodwrich, an admitted student, said even though she is already committed to coming here, it was still a worthwhile experience.

“It was really good to learn more. You get to talk to the students and the professors here. Now I know what to expect and a feel a lot more comfortable (about coming here).”