University warns against Mexico spring break travel

The University is encouraging students traveling to Mexico this spring break to reconsider their plans, according to a massmail.

Mexico is marked as “a location of elevated risk as described by the U.S. State Department Travel Warning,” according to the massmail.

When a country falls under a State Department Travel Warning, faculty and staff are required to seek approval for their activities through International Programs and Studies, www.ilint.illinois.edu.

The U.S. State Department’s statement on spring break travel to Mexico can be found below:

404 – Page Not Found

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page on travel.state.gov. Here are several suggestions to help you find what you’re looking for: Try our site search Check the website’s homepage, travel.state.gov Browse our most visited sections: It is also possible that the page you tried to access is temporarily unavailable.

404 – Page Not Found

The Champaign police issued a public service announcement to remind residents to protect their homes and valuables while they are traveling over spring break. All windows, including those on garages and cars, should be locked, all valuable, mobile technology should be taken with and serial numbers should be recorded in case of theft.

Police urge residents to forego the voicemail informing others that the house is unoccupied because of vacation and to place a hold on mail deliveries, or have a neighbor take the mail in, to avoid alerting passerby that the home is unoccupied.