Businesses take advantage of large Quad Day crowds

With Quad Day drawing crowds in the thousands this Sunday, local businesses took advantage of the increased student presence on Green Street and at the Illini Union to drum up publicity for their establishments.

Amalia Thompson, owner of One World Pizza, located at 508 E. Green St. in Champaign, said she decided to erect a tent and table along Green Street to give out lemonade and free samples of her pizza.

“We knew there are new students trying to learn what’s around, so we took advantage of the fact that there would be a lot of foot traffic (on Green Street) going to the Quad,” Thompson said.

Her decision, she said, created a buzz and lead to an increase in business inside her restaurant.

Chris Hill, Chick-fil-A employee and senior in LAS, walked around the Quad with his manager. They handed out punch cards, which allowed customers to buy five meals and get a sixth free. Hill was in costume as a cow, handing out free chicken nuggets.

“The free samples were a great success. I took a

ton of pictures with people.”

Though Hill was not employed with Chik-fil-A for last year’s Quad day, he said had heard that the free samples and punch cards generated a lot of added business for the restaurant.

Jamba Juice employee Katie Majewski, graduate student, said her restaurant did not have a presence at Quad Day, nor did they have any special promotions.

Still, Majewski said business dramatically increased due to their proximity to the event.

“We only had coupons that were included in coupon books and the iBook (a University-produced daily planner),” she said. “But we are centrally located and people are more aware of our business because of our locations in a lot of (students’) hometowns, so they knew to stop in for a cool drink.”