University and Champaign Police caution the community

The University of Illinois Police Department sent out a crime alert on August 23, 2010 giving students information on an Aggravated Battery that occurred on August 18, 2010 at approximately 3:10 a.m.

The incident occurred on the 600 block of South Fourth Street, Champaign.

According to the crime alert, the victim was a twenty-one year old male, who was approached by three individuals while walking on the sidewalk. One of the individuals asked the victim if he had a lighter. The victim then went to retrieve his lighter when he was struck in the face by this offender. The victim attempted to flee the area when he was chased by the other two suspects and knocked to the ground. While on the ground, the offenders kicked and punched the victim. The offenders then ran northbound on Fourth Street.

The victim was then approached by two unknown males and a female asking if he needed assistance. The two unknown males also ran after the three offenders.

The crime alert also gave a description of the offenders. The offenders were described as black males between the ages of 18 to 25 years old. One offender was described as having a slender build, 5’10” tall, 180 lbs. with a light complexion and dark hair. Another offender was also described as having a light complexion. These are the only descriptors the victim could provide. However, the tactic used by the offenders is similar to other offenses committed in the campus district.

Anyone with information about this incident particularly those that

approached the victim and rendered assistance should call the Champaign

Police Department at 217-351-4545. Information also can be shared

anonymously through Crimestoppers by calling 217-373-TIPS or online at:

http://www.champaigncountycrimestoppers.com/