Brady stops in Champaign on statewide jobs tour

Bill Brady, the republican nominee for governor, spoke to a very supportive crowd of about two-dozen people Tuesday morning at Harlan & Lash Machining Inc.

The campaign stop was part of a statewide tour to discuss ideas for creating jobs, said Jeff Kibbler, Brady’s regional field coordinator.

Brady stressed the importance of balancing the state’s budget, citing Illinois as having the worst bond rating of any state in the union.

“Businesses do not want to invest in a state that can’t stay within its means,” Brady said. “As governor I will authorize an audit so we know every dollar spent and where it is going.”

When asked what he would do to crack down on corruption at the University level, Brady promised reform.

“Corruption is not just at the University level,” Brady said. “As governor I will hire real professionals at all levels of government.”

Susan Solomon, a local stay at home mom, encouraged students to have an open mind.

“I’m hoping students will listen to the issues and not just their friends,” Solomon said. “Making the state solvent is an important issue that will help the University and in turn help the students themselves.”

Steve Hillard, president of Harlan & Lash, said he was proud that the Illinois Manufacturing Association had endorsed Brady on Monday.

Brady noted his gratitude for the endorsement.

“I appreciate the endorsement not only of the Illinois Manufacturing Association, but also the Illinois Chamber of Commerce and Illinois Federation of Independent Business,” Brady said. “The men and women in these organizations know what we need during these tough economic times.”

Brady also highlighted workman’s compensation as in need of reform.

“We need to turn workman’s compensation into a win-win,” Brady said. “It needs to protect workers while at the same time remaining affordable.

Mayor Jerry Shweighert said he was glad Brady addressed that issue.

“I’m glad he mentioned that because from what I hear [workman’s compensation cost] is one of the big reasons businesses leave the state,” Schweighert said

Brady cited numerous initiatives he would take as governor to create more jobs that included the creation of a special council to make border communities more competitive, a cash incentive for firms that created new jobs, and the commissioning of a council of economic advisors.

“Illinois lost 20,000 jobs last month,” Brady said. “And it is not just the unemployed; the employed are worried about whether they will wake up tomorrow and still have a job.”

He also proposed tax cuts that included the elimination of the sales tax on gas, the repeal of the estate tax, and the reinstatement of the research and development tax credit.

“Businesses need a stable tax environment to stay competitive,” Brady said.

Alex Ruggieri, a local business owner, was impressed by the candidate’s remarks.

“I thought he was refreshing, direct, and straightforward,” Ruggieri said. “We need more business minded people in government, and he certainly has that mindset.”