Local Briefs 10/15/2010

UI’s Phi Mu to suspend operations after May 15

The Illinois Delta Beta chapter of Phi Mu will suspend operations at the end of the spring semester.

The National Council of Phi Mu Fraternity confirmed Thursday that the closure is because the organization has not maintained membership.

“The decision to suspend operations is never easy,” said National President Kris Bridges in a press release. “We came to this difficult decision because the chapter has been struggling with membership and the house has not been occupied at capacity.”

Members of the Delta Beta chapter will continue to be a part of the Illinois Greek community until May 15.

Members from Phi Mu’s National headquarters plan to work with University administrators and members of the Panhellenic Council to create a plan for the Delta Beta Chapter to return to campus in the future.

When the sorority officially closes in May, all Delta Beta members in good standing with the Fraternity will be granted Phi Mu almunae status.

Ikenberry Commons walkway to open Friday

The new concrete walkway from Garner Hall to Forbes Hall is expected to open Friday. The walkway will provide a faster way for students to cross through Ikenberry Commons.

According to an e-mail sent out by student housing, the walkway will need to close temporarily for additional construction work from Oct. 25 until Oct. 29. Work on the residential quad is moving forward, and students can expect to see it open around the week of Thanksgiving.

Chabad rabbi entered to win money for center

Rabbi Dovid Tiechtel, director of the University’s Chabad Student Center, is in the running to win $25,000 for his nonprofit center on campus. Tiechtel is currently eighth place in the second annual online Jewish Community Heroes contest, according to a press release. Jewish Federations of North America, among other Jewish agencies, are sponsoring the contest.

Tiechtel founded and directs the Chabad Center for Jewish Life. He has accumulated over 8,000 votes as the contest winds down. Voting closes tomorrow.

Afterward, a panel of 18 judges will choose the winner among the top 20 highest-voted nominees.

“It would really mean a lot to us to win this award,” Tiechtel said. “I can’t believe that we, in a small town in middle America, are ranking so high against some of the larger cities. Who would have known? Anything is possible.”

For more information on the Jewish Community Heroes Contest and to vote, visit www.JewishCommunityHeroes.org. For more information on Chabad visit www.jewishillini.org.

Compiled from Daily Illini reports