Conference highlights efforts to increase affordable housing

The 2010 Governor’s Conference on Affordable Housing discussed the state’s efforts to increase affordable housing.

Governor Pat Quinn commended the Illinois housing leaders for their dedication to affordable housing, community stabilization, supportive housing to end homelessness and green building.

According to a press release, the conference discussed strategies to boost housing opportunities for Illinois’ vulnerable populations.

“We must do everything we can to make sure Illinois’ working families, seniors and persons with disabilities have affordable housing,” Governor Quinn said in the press release. “By leveraging state and federal resources to build more affordable housing, we are strengthening the economy and creating construction jobs.”

The conference included representatives from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Illinois Housing Development Authority, Illinois Department of Human Services, Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity, Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services and the Illinois Department on Aging.