Democratic candidates rally statewide for election day

Gov. Pat Quinn spoke about job creation Monday afternoon at a rally at Plumbers and Pipefitters Local Union 149 at 1005 N. Dunlap Ave, in Savoy. He also urged people to get out and vote on Election Day. State Rep. Naomi Jakobsson, D-103, State Sen. Mike Frerichs, D-52, and Sheila Simon, candidate for lieutenant governor, also attended the rally.

The event was part of a series Quinn attended in Illinois. Quinn visited Oak Lawn, Chicago, Rockford, Peoria, Savoy, Cahokia and Carbondale in a statewide flyaround.

Frerichs said after the rally that Quinn’s main message was about creating jobs and making sure people get out to work.

“We’ve got a governor here trying to put people in Illinois back to work, and if we like the agenda, we have to work these next 29 hours to turn out the vote.”

Quinn’s spokesman George Sweeney said Illinois has led the Midwest in job creation this year.

Spokeswoman Mica Matsoff said Quinn told the crowd there is a lot at stake in this election for workers, schools and families.

“Vote like your future depends on it, because it does,” Matsoff said.

She said Quinn’s priorities are economic growth and families.

“I am the only candidate in this race who works everyday to help Illinois working families,” Quinn said in a press release. “I’m going to keep fighting to create jobs and grow our economy.”

Jakobsson said after the rally that Quinn has worked to get projects accomplished at the University, such as the reconstruction of Lincoln Hall.

Frerichs said it is clear Quinn is the man for the job “if we want to continue to rebuild our infrastructure and rebuild the University.”

“We worked to get money in a capital bill for Lincoln Hall, for Blue Waters, for a new (electrical and computer engineering) building, for a new building for the college of ACES, and Senator (Bill) Brady opposed that,” he said.

Quinn also talked about veterans’ issues and the “Helmets to Hard Hats” program, which helps soldiers returning from the war gain employment when they get back home.

At the rally, many people said they had already voted. Jakobsson said these people should make phone calls to motivate others to get out to the polls.

“That’s my message today. Get out and vote tomorrow,” she said.