False report of gun at mall halts shopping 1 day after shooting

Champaign police gave the all-clear at Market Place Mall on Monday afternoon after a false alarm brought the mall to a standstill for the second time in two days.

Police responded to a call about an armed gunman earlier in the day, reporting that someone thought they saw a subject with a gun in their waistband. The subject in question was cleared.

There were never any accusations of shots fired Monday afternoon.

In new details revealed concerning the Sunday shooting at Market Place Mall, Champaign police spokeswoman Rene Dunn said in a press release that officers secured a suspect and a handgun used in the shooting, along with detaining four people considered persons of interest. While both the victim and suspect remain hospitalized, it is believed that both parties knew each other.

The Champaign Police Department obtained an arrest warrant for attempted murder/intent to kill for Dontrell L. Thompson, a 28-year-old resident of Milwaukee, Wis.

Thompson remained hospitalized at Carle Hospital with bail fixed at $2,500,000.

“This shooting could have very easily affected more people. Our officers rushed to the shooter after hearing shots fired and stopped the shooter from causing further injury to the victim,” said Champaign Police Chief R.T. Finney in a press release.

“There were also two off-duty Champaign officers at the mall during this time, who ran to assist,” Finney said. “Fortunately, no one else was seriously injured.”