‘Underwear Mile’ supports cancer, I4K

University students will be able to cross off “run down Green Street in underwear” from their bucket list after Wednesday night.

Starting at Washington Park and ending outside of Foellinger Auditorium, the fourth annual “Underwear Mile” will take place at 9 p.m. to raise awareness about the fight against cancer.

Anyone can participate and must pay a $3 fee for a wristband, which is required to run. Throughout the night there will also be $1 glow sticks sold that runners can carry and $1 raffle tickets for a $20 gift card to Firehaus Bar and $10 gift cards to The Beef Stand.

Participants are encouraged to run in their underwear or in a crazy outfit, and the two participants with the best costumes will receive a $25 dollar Fat Sandwich gift card.

Mary Russell, director of marketing for the Illini 4000, said she is looking forward to seeing the costumes.

“I’m most excited to see how many people turn out and what they will be wearing,” Russell said. “I plan to dress like some sort of superhero with a glittery cape.”

This is event is organized by members of the Illini 4000, a Registered Student Organization.

The goal of this event is to encourage student participation in the fight against cancer, which is also the goal of the group. The RSO sends students on a bike ride across America each summer.

Ellie Spitz, senior in ACES, said this bike ride serves more than just one purpose.

“First, it allows members to actively advocate for cancer awareness at a national level,” said Spitz. “Second, the ride serves as a means to raise money for cancer research and support programs.”

So far, the organization has raised over $100,000 this year and all proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society and Camp Kesem.

Proceeds from tomorrow’s run will also go to American Cancer Society and Camp Kesem.