Twenty images in 20 seconds: PechaKucha

Twenty pictures for 20 seconds each. That is the basic premise of PechaKucha, a presentation style that started in Tokyo in 2003.

PechaKucha is the Japanese term for chit-chat. The idea is for many presenters to present over a shorter period of time for more ideas and images to be projected to the audience. The Krannert Center, which worked in conjunction with the Champaign-Urbana Design Organization, had their first PechaKucha Night last summer.

“It was a success,” said Bridget Lee-Calfas, director of public information at the Krannert Center. “There were around 400 people there last summer, and I think it will be a success again this year.”

This year’s event will be held on Friday, July 22 at 8:20 p.m. The event will be held outdoors, and tickets will be free.

“It’s outdoors, there will be a bar and the unique venue will provide for a good night,” Lee-Calfas said.

The presenters, which are not known at this time, can present on virtually anything, from skydiving or photography to artists just presenting their art.

“There really is a very eclectic mix of presenters, which makes it interesting to see so many different presentations,” Lee-Calfas said.

Students have also expressed interest in experiencing PechaKucha.

“I think it will be cool just because 20 images in 20 seconds. That’s really not a very long time,” said Regina Hinders, freshman in DGS. “So one presentation will leave you with dozens of images and ideas running through your head.”