New Stewarding Excellence report concerned with space utilization

The University released a letter summarizing new Stewarding Excellence projects concerned with space allocation, maintenance, and the establishment of a committee to oversee classroom space standards.

The projects described in the letter have passed the initial research stage, called the Stewarding Excellence @ Illinois process. The next stage, called Next Steps, contains projects which the University is ready to take steps toward implementation.

The letter, which was signed by Interim Chancellor and Vice President Robert Easter along with Interim Provost Richard Wheeler, described the conclusions and recommendations of the project team charged with reviewing campus space needs.

One of projects mentioned is a commitment to have every classroom reach a minimum level of instructional technology – such as projectors or computer systems – within the next five years.

According to the summarized report, 37 classrooms received funding through a mix of available fees and the Academic Facilities Maintenance Fund Assessment. Improvements on 17 of the most heavily used classrooms will begin this summer.