Illinois briefs 7/27/2011

*Quinn meets with Emanuel on McCormick Place*

Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn wants to negotiate with unions to keep labor reforms at Chicago’s McCormick Place convention center.

But he also says he and top lawmakers are ready to bring legislators back to Springfield in September to fine-tune any necessary legislation.

Quinn met Tuesday with Mayor Rahm Emanuel and the state’s four legislative leaders about ways to keep the work rule changes.

A federal judge ruled in March that many of the labor reforms lawmakers wanted at McCormick were illegal because they went beyond the terms of union contracts.

The judge also ruled legislators overturned collective bargaining rights in violation of the National Labor Relations Act.

Some conventions have pulled out of the city because of the high cost to host events at McCormick.

*Papaya linked to 17 illnesses in Illinois*

Health officials say 17 food-poisoning cases in Illinois have been linked to possibly tainted papayas from Mexico.

The Illinois Department of Public Health says hospitalization was required in eight of the 17 cases. The Illinois cases are part of a multistate outbreak that’s sickened more than 90 people in 23 states.

A South Texas company says it’s recalling papayas imported from Mexico because they could be contaminated with salmonella bacteria. The company says the Blondie, Yaya, Mananita and Tastylicious brand papayas sold prior to July 23 are being recalled.

Most of the Illinois cases are in Chicago and its suburbs, with others in DuPage, Kane, Lake, Will and Winnebago counties.

Officials advise people who’ve eaten papayas and become ill to seek medical care and contact the local health department.

_Compiled from Associated Press reports_