World’s largest smoothie to be made Friday in Memorial Stadium

After the New Student Convocation Friday in Assembly Hall, students will head over to Memorial Stadium for Illinois Sights and Sounds, but they’ll also experience a taste of the world’s largest smoothie.

According to a statement on the University Housing website, the smoothie will be comprised of 690 pounds of strawberries, 1,035 pounds of yogurt, and 99 gallons of pineapple juice.

The smoothie will be made in a refrigerated truck on the west side of Memorial Stadium starting at 8:30 a.m. and will be finished around 12:30 p.m.

The smoothie will serve about 8,000 people, each tasting four ounces of the estimated 345-gallon drink. The current world record is held by the Dairy Farmers of Canada, which made a 264-gallon smoothie in July 2010.

Prairie Farms is donating 250 pounds of yogurt to University Housing for the smoothie, which will boast 745,710 calories, 19,042 grams of protein, 4,768 grams of fat, and 160,898 grams of carbohydrate, according to the website.

A representative from Guinness World Records will be present Friday to certify the results.

“We are a world class university and we’d love to have a world record,” said Kirsten Ruby, associate director of housing for marketing. “Smoothies are one of the more popular dining hall items.”