McKinley-Presby garden to honor 9/11

The McKinley Presbyterian communities of the Church, the Foundation and Presby Hall will build a rain garden on their property on Sunday, Sept. 11 at 1 p.m. Prior to building the garden a brief dedication and service will be held in honor of the 10-year anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

The public is invited to attend and view the building from the Presby Hall patio near Fifth and John streets.

Pastor Keith Harris, director of the McKinley Foundation, will conduct the service at the garden site alongside the Hillel Jewish Student organization and the Muslim Student Organization.

The project is a culmination of multiple group efforts. Students from Presby Hall will be filling the garden and planting, and the church will contribute tools and landscaping labor. The Prairie Rivers Network will supervise the effort and will provide access to the purchase of deep root plants. The Landscape Recycling Center is contributing compost and mulch to fill the garden and Steve Royal of Royal FX will coordinate excavation work and hauling.

The McKinley Foundation has coordinated the project in cooperation with Presby Hall’s sustainability and environmental education initiatives.