Briefs 10/13/2011

h2. PINK party offers fun ‘Day ‘n Night’

Kid Cudi and Girl Talk will both perform at the Victoria’s Secret PINK Party on Oct. 20 at 5 p.m.

The party will be held at Lot 31, across from Memorial Stadium, between First and Oak streets, according to a Victoria’s Secret press release.

Students who donate toiletry items to charity will receive a free PINK item.

Students can also go to the pop-up shop from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. the day before the event to buy the latest PINK clothing line items and limited-edition Fighting Illini Bash T-shirts at the Illini Union Bookstore.

The party is open on a first come first serve basis, as capacity is limited. A University ID is required to get into the event. You can get an invitation by going to the PINK Party’s Facebook page or texting Party to 877465.

h2. University announces new minor in leadership studies

The University has announced a new minor in leadership studies, which will be available to all undergraduate students.

The minor is administered by the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences and is supported by the Illinois Leadership Center.

The curriculum requires students to fulfill 17 to 18 credit hours in courses that they can take through every college on campus.

Students must also take three required courses in leadership theory, interpersonal dimensions of leadership and scientific research that support theories of leadership.

“The minor will broaden students’ perspectives in multiple leadership contexts,” said Lisa Burgoon, program coordinator of the leadership studies minor. “It aims to enhance understanding of the social and organizational processes that influence effective leadership across diverse contexts.”

h2. Elementary school attempts to break world record

An Urbana elementary school set out to help break a Guinness World Record on Wednesday afternoon.

Leal Elementary School participated in “Let’s Jump,” an initiative sponsored by Michelle Obama and National Geographic Kids. “Let’s Jump” is an attempt to break the record for the most people doing jumping jacks in a 24-hour period.

To break the record, more than 20,000 people worldwide needed to complete one minute of jumping jacks between 2 p.m. local time October 11 and 2 p.m. Eastern Standard Time October 12.

Kindergarten to fifth grade Leal Elementary students did one minute of continuous jumping jacks in sessions during recess.

Guinness World Records could not yet verify whether the record was broken.

_Compiled from Daily Illini staff reports._