‘Green’ student magazine hits stands today

The first issue of the year of the “Green Observer,” the only environmental publication at the University written and published by students, was released Monday.

University students, faculty and staff can pick up their copies at the University YMCA, 1001 S. Wright Street, in Champaign or at the Illini Union, 1401 W. Green Street in Urbana.

The “Green Observer” aims to objectively report on environmental issues that affect the campus and to encourage all members of the community to get involved in sustainability efforts.

The 16-page October issue features a new layout and content based on reader feedback. The lead story discusses University officials’ decision to cancel a $5 million wind turbine project for the South Farm area of the Urbana campus, following Urbana residents’ concerns over the location of the turbine and the project’s economic feasibility.

Other story topics include prairie burning, the “Coal to Clean Energy” tour from early October, Students for Environmental Concerns and the Red Bison RSO. The magazine also features recipes, “green-it-yourself” tips, and an Opinions section on sustainability leadership and wasteful practices in the University dining halls.

The second issue will be released Dec. 5 and will also be 16 pages long. It will discuss recycling in Champaign-Urbana, composting on campus, the 2011 Solar Decathlon and going green for the holidays.

The “Green Observer” also recently published a new “website”:http://greenobservermagazine.com/home.html, where more information on the publication, staff and green movement on campus can be found.

Also available on the site is an archive of past issues: October 2010, March 2010 and Earth Day 2011.

The “Green Observer” prints two issues per semester. The editorial staff is accepting writing, photography, illustrations or advertisements at [email protected] until Nov. 19.