Urbana City Council discusses future safety precautions and housing

The Urbana City Council unanimously approved an intergovernmental agreement with the University’s Board of Trustees concerning private-certified housing inspections through 2014 at their meeting Monday.

The goal of the inspections is to provide safe and educationally beneficial housing for students at the University, according to the memorandum.

The resolution passed Monday night details the terms and conditions the city of Urbana must follow and the details of the services provided as well as the costs reimbursed to the city by the University.

In other business, Urbana Chief of Police Patrick Connolly notified council members of extra safety measures that will be taken for Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day. He said electronic message boards will be setup around campus on March 2 and possibly March 3 to remind drivers to take caution due to the large amount of pedestrian traffic. The speed limit will also be temporarily reduced to 25 mph.

Also discussed at the meeting was a resolution certifying a community housing development for the Urbana HOME Consortium for the fiscal year 2012-2013.

“This is a beautiful home and cutting edge,” said Brandon Bowersox,

Ward 4.

The consortium has been advertising in the community to attract potential buyers for this energy-efficient home.