Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. spreads bullying awareness

By Nyajai Ellison

Members of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity hope to decrease the amount of bullying within the Champaign-Urbana community. The members went to the Champaign Don Moyer Boys and Girls Club on Dec. 5 to raise awareness of bullying.

Ambassadors 4 Kids Club reports that as of 2013, one out of four children are bullied. Along with that, 77 percent of students are bullied mentally, verbally and physically. The Ambassadors 4 Kids Club also said cyberbullying statistics are quickly approaching similar numbers, with 43 percent of students experiencing cyberbullying.

Melvyn Okeke, senior in LAS and the facilitator for the event, said Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. wants to be proactive about bullying before it’s too late.

“Bullying is violence and we don’t want to see any dramatic incidents happen here in Champaign or anywhere else so we’re trying to spread awareness about bullying and respect,” he said.

Okeke is also the director of education and activities for his fraternity and is passionate about speaking to the youth.

“I’m pretty sure everyone has either experienced or witnessed bullying, but not many of us has ever done something about it and that’s why we’re here today, to be proactive about the situation,” he said.

Charles Burton, unit director of the Champaign Don Moyer Boys and Girls Club said bullying is a big issue today.

“Bullying is easy to happen and a lot of times it’s not taken care of by a staff person or parents and guardians until it’s to the point where it’s too late,” Burton said.

Burton said the Champaign Don Moyer Boys and Girls Club, along with Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., wants to provide the opportunity to educate kids on bullying and provide resources to receive help.

“Here at Don Moyer Boys and Girls Club, we want to provide a safe environment,” Burton said. “Along with providing a safe environment, our job is to plant seeds in our youth to provide them with opportunities that they may not necessarily get in the school or at home, and having living witnesses from bullying makes the situation a lot more relatable and easier to control.”

Ajibade Fashola, senior in Engineering and a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., said he was personally affected by bullying.

“We never consider the effect that bullying — in all its variations — has on a child as they mature and grow. We all come from different backgrounds and never demean someone else,” Fashola said.

He said that he himself has experienced bullying in the past and believes that they made a difference from sharing his story with the youth and emphasizing the importance of respecting one another.

“We hope that these young men and women will take these stories and lessons we shared and take it to heart,” he said.

After members of the fraternity shared their personal stories and built relationships with the children of the boys and girls club, the children promised to respect one another and to not participate in violence of any sort.

“We just want to provide a safe environment,” Burton said.

Nyajai can be reached at [email protected].