Gov. Quinn announces $1.06 million in federal aid approved for tornado victims

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Gov. Pat Quinn announced today that more than $1 million in federal aid has been approved to help victims affected by the tornadoes that passed through Illinois on November 17, according to a press release from the Governor’s office.

The grants, totaling $1.06 million, will help cover expenses for temporary home rental, home repairs and replacement of damaged personal property items.

“These grants are helping people put their lives back together after the deadly tornadoes,” Quinn said in the press release. “I urge everyone who suffered damage or loss to register for federal aid today.”

Fifteen counties were declared federal disaster areas after the storms, which includes: Champaign, Douglas, Fayette, Grundy, Jasper, LaSalle, Massac, Pope, Tazewell, Vermilion, Wabash, Washington, Wayne, Will and Woodford counties. Quinn began to secure federal aid for the counties days after the tornadoes, according to the press release.

Those affected by the tornadoes and storms are encouraged to register for federal assistance by calling The Federal Emergency Management Agency at 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-462-7585.

People can also register online for assistance at disasterassistance.gov or by smartphone or tablet at m.fema.gov. The deadline to register for federal disaster aid is Jan. 27, 2014.

Victims from the Nov. 17 tornadoes may also be eligible for low-interest loans through the U.S. Small Business Administration.