Urbana Police arrest 5 men following armed robbery and vehicular hijacking

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The Urbana Police Department arrested five men Sunday morning after a report of armed robbery and vehicular hijacking in the 1600 block of Hunter Street, according to a press release from Urbana Police. 

The suspects were arrested on different charges, including armed robbery, vehicular hijacking, mob action, parole Violation and outstanding Champaign County arrest warrants.

Around 3 a.m., officers were dispatched to the location where two Urbana men had been beaten and robbed of cash, a cell phone and a 1997 Ford pick-up truck, according to the press release.

According to Urbana Police, a suspect approached the two victims who were sitting in the truck and after minimal conversation, the suspect entered an apartment at the location. Ten minutes later, the suspect, along with others, exited the apartment. After one of the suspects broke the driver’s side window, both victims exited the truck and were beaten and robbed.

Urbana Police discovered the pickup truck blocks from the scene, and a canine track led police from the truck to the same apartment where the incident began. Officers obtained a search warrant and found the victims’ belongings as well as two handguns.

Shortly before 8 a.m., Urbana Police arrested five men:

— 21-year-old William L. Ayers

— 19-year-old Andrew C. Bell

— 19-year-old Robert A. Grady

— 19-year-old Zachary T. Gray

— 21-year-old Herbert C. Shah

Police say the investigation is ongoing and are asking anyone with information to call them at 217-384-2320 or Crime Stoppers at 217-373-TIPS.